As part of the Safe Sanctuary provision of St John United Methodist Church, all children/youth under 18 years of age are to be supervised by at least one other adult, in addition to the music instructor. “Supervision” (as defined by Safe Sanctuaries: Mandatory Standards for Local Churches in the Kentucky Annual Conference) means to oversee or direct a ministry or activity.
Supervision must be conducted by:
- An adult that is at least 18 years of age; and
- Is at least 4 years older than the child or youth that is being supervised.
It is the responsibility of the parent or guardian to provide such adult supervision of the child with the music instructor.
All parents or guardians of minor children under 18 years of age are required to follow the Safe Sanctuary provisions.
- Parents or guardians of the child must stay in close proximity to the music lesson room, or arrange for another adult to remain in close proximity, during the time of the lesson.
- Periodically check in on the lesson and provide the needed second adult supervision with the child.
- If the parent or guardian does not remain in the lesson room, then doors are to be left open.
Parents and instructors each sign a Safe Sanctuaries agreement annually at the time of registration.